- "Rising stars in the global race for skill? A comparative analysis of Brazil, India, and Malaysia" (2021), Migration Studies 9(1): 21-46, (with M. Czaika)
- "Constrained politics: labour market actors, political parties and Swedish labour immigration policy", (2019), Government and Opposition 54(1): 121-144, (with F. Borang).
- "Defining 'talent': Insights from management and migration literatures for policy design", (2018), Policy Studies Journal (with M.-H. Chou).
- "A pluralist approach to public policy: The case of the OECD's New Approaches to Economic Challenges (NAEC) initiative", (2018), International Journal of Pluralism and Economics Education 9(4): 376-390, (with W. Hynes).
- "The crisis as an opportunity for change? High-skilled immigration policies across Europe" (2016), Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 42(10): 1610-1630.
- "Governance of innovation in education" (2014), Education Sciences 4: 5-21.
- "Attracting high-skilled immigrants: policies in comparative perspective" (2014), International Migration 52(3): 69-84.
- "Current policy trends in skilled immigration policy" (2014), International Migration 52(3): 21-25, (with A. Boucher). Introductory article for Special Issue on Skilled Immigration Policy.
- "The regional dimension in the global competition for talent: Lessons from framing the European Scientific Visa and Blue Card" (2014), Journal of European Public Policy 21(1): 76-95, (with M.-H. Chou).
- "The EU Blue Card: preferences, policies and negotiations between member states" (2014), Migration Studies 2(1): 73-96.
- “Understanding the diversity of EU migration policy in practice: the implementation of the Blue Card initiative” (2013), Policy Studies 34(2): 180-200.
- "The varieties of high-skilled immigration policies: coalitions and policy outputs in advanced industrial countries” (2009), Journal of European Public Policy 16(1): 144-161.
- Immigration Policies and the Global Competition for Talent (2016), Basingstoke: Palgrave. Flyer here. Blog post here.
- Global Challenges: Peace and War (2013). Leiden: Brill Publishers (with Y.-J. Hwang, eds).
Chapters in edited volumes
- “ Labor Migration: High-Skilled, Low-Skilled, and Temporary” (2021), in J. Money and S. Lockhart (eds), Introduction to International Migration Population Movements in the 21st Century, New York and London: Routledge (with A. Boucher).
- "European high-skilled migration policy: trends and challenges" (2018), in M. Czaika (ed.), High-Skilled Migration: Drivers and Policies, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- '"The crisis as an opportunity to change? High-skilled immigration policies across Europe'' (2017), in C. Roos and N. Zaun (eds), The Global Economic Crisis and Migration, Routledge (reprinted from 2016 article in Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies special issue).
- "European policies to attract talent: The crisis and highly skilled migration policy changes" (2015), in A. Trandafyllidou and I. Isaakyan (eds), High Skill Migration and Recession: Gendered Perspectives, Palgrave (with M. Czaika).
- “Trade, migration and the crisis of globalisation” (2015), in M. Panizzon, G. Zürcher and E. Fornalé (eds), Palgrave Handbook of the Law and Policy of International Labour Migration, Palgrave (with J. Hollifield and W. Hynes).
- "Tilting the talent balance: from Europe to Asia - Germany and Singapore in comparison" (2014), in A. Kreienbrink (ed.), Migration from Asia to Germany and Europe, Nuernberg: Bundesamt fuer Migration und Fluechtlinge, pp. 124-151, (with M.-H. Chou).
- “Introduction” and “Law of war” (2013), in Global Challenges: Peace and War. Leiden: Brill Publishers (with Y.-J. Hwang).
- "Global governance of high-skilled labour migration” (2011), in A. Betts (ed), Global Migration Governance. Oxford: Oxford University Press (with A. Betts).
- "Immigration and immigrant policy-making in the United Kingdom” (2011), in G. Zincone, R. Penninx and M. Borkert (eds), Migratory Policy-Making in Europe. Amsterdam: Amsterdam University Press (with A. Wietholtz).
- "Strategies and policy effects in the global talent race: foreign academics in Singapore" (2017), COMPAS Working Paper WP-17-133 (with M.-H. Chou).
- "Swedish labour immigration policy: the role of unions, employers and political parties" (2015), COMPAS Working Paper WP-15-127 (with F. Borang) (Blog post: "Swedish revolution in labour immigration policy").
- "The internationalisation of higher education: three European universities in comparative perspective'' (2014), COMPAS Working Paper WP-14-114.
- “Competition for the best and brightest: the French case” (2010). OXPO Working Paper 09-10d.
- “Policies and practices of highly skilled migration in times of economic crisis” (2010), International Migration Papers No. 99, Geneva: ILO.
- “Globalisation backlash? The influence of global governance in trade and immigration” (2009), COMPAS Working Paper WP-09-74 (with W. Hynes).
- “Changes in Swedish labour immigration policy: A slight revolution?” (2009), SULCIS Working Paper 2009:10.
- “Towards an EU Blue Card? Delegation of national high-skilled immigration politics to the EU level” (2008), COMPAS Working Paper WP-08-65.
OECD papers and reports
- “The resilience of students with an immigrant background: An update with PISA 2018” (2021), OECD Education Working Papers, No. 261, OECD Publishing, Paris (with O. Brussino and C. Mezzanotte).
- "Promoting inclusive education for diverse societies: A conceptual framework" (2021), OECD Education Working Papers, No. 260, OECD Publishing, Paris, (with C. Mezzanotte, A. Rutigliano, O. Brussino, P. Santiago, F. Borgonovi, C. Guthrie).
- “The impact of COVID-19 on student equity and inclusion: Supporting vulnerable students during school closures and school re-openings” (2021), OECD Policy Responses to Coronavirus (COVID-19), OECD Publishing, Paris.
- "Supporting immigrant and refugee students amid the coronavirus pandemic" (2020), OECD Education and Skills Today. Blog post.
- "Coronavirus school closures: What do they mean for student equity and inclusion?" (2020), OECD Education and Skills Today. Blog post.
- "Refugee education, Integration models and practices in OECD countries" (2019), OECD Working Papers, No. 203, OECD Publishing, Paris. (Blog post: "How education systems can support the integration of refugee children"). Translated into Spanish and Portuguese.
- "The lives of teachers in diverse classrooms" (2019), OECD working Papers, No. 198, OECD Publishing, Paris (with N. Forghani-Arani and M. Bannon)
- “Strength through Diversity’s Spotlight Report for Sweden” (2019), OECD Education Working Papers, No. 194, OECD Publishing, Paris (with. H. Andersson, M. Bannon and F. Borgonovi).
- Project on "Strength through Diversity: Education for Inclusive Societies"
- OECD Skills Strategy: Diagnostic Report Slovenia (2017), OECD Publishing, Paris.
- "Chapter 7: When trust breaks down in education systems" (2016), OECD, Education Governance in Action: Lessons from Case Studies, Educational Research and Innovation, OECD Publishing, Paris.
- "Enhancing effective education governance" (2016) (with T. Burns), in T. Burns and F. Köster (eds.), Governing Education in a Complex World, Educational Research and Innovation, OECD Publishing, Paris.
- "Trust: what it is and why it matters for governance and education" (2014), EDU Working Paper 108. (EDU Blog post: "Trust is all we need...")
- "Innovation, governance and reform in education" (2014), CERI conference paper. (Conference website is here).
- "The nature of policy change and implementation: a review of different theoretical approaches" (2013), OECD/CERI paper.
Reports and other publications
- "Is Europe missing out on foreign talent?" (2013), University World News, Issue 286, 7 September (with M.-H. Chou)
- “Recognition of Qualifications and Competences of Third-Country Nationals in the United Kingdom” (2013), Brussels: IOM.
- “Sweden: Labour shortages and Migration Policy” (2012), in A. Platonova and G. Urso (eds), Labour Shortages and Migration Policy, Brussels: IOM.
- "Selecting the best and brightest" (2011), Policy Primer and Video, Migration Observatory.
- "High-skilled immigration policy in the UK" (2011), International Labor Brief, special issue, published in Korean (English version available on request).
- "France's attractiveness for doctoral and postdoctoral students" (2010), short piece prepared for Institut Montaigne.
- "Brain drain in Europe" (2007), short piece prepared for Oxford Analytica (available on request).
- "Globalisation backlash? The influence of global governance in trade and immigration" (2012), APSA Annual Conference (with J. Hollifield and W. Hynes).
- "The EU Blue Card: A bridge too far?” (2010), ECPR Pan-European Conference on EU Politics, Porto.
- Openness index for high-skilled immigration policies in 20 OECD countries (2007 and 2012). Considers admission mechanisms and work permit rights. 2007 index included in my 2014 EU Blue Card article. 2007 and 2012 indices included in my 2016 book.
- Variation in European Union Blue Card versions across member states (2014). In my 2018 chapter in edited volume by Oxford University Press.